Thanks very much, James, for your replies on the above subject.

This may well induce groans all round, but my old eyes have difficulty reading text on a monitor at the maximum resolution the monitor manufacturer claims I can get with my new monitor (1280x1024). So, once I was able to get the monitor to work at all in Fedora (by creating a new xorg.conf file for the new monitor), I then used the Fedora GUI tool to set the resolution at (apparently) 1024x768. Whether that really is the resolution, I can't say, but I can read text on the monitor quite happily and I'm going to quit now while I'm ahead!

Thanks again,

Leslie