On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 03:30:15PM +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Why SuSE
> Why Ubuntu
>
> Any useful stuff, I'll put on my wiki. Any flames to trash.
> For me, I have a paying customer who wants Ubuntu and does NOT want SuSE.
> As I struggled with the paradigms shift (from SuSE to Ubuntu) many people
> have
> been majorly helpful - thanks guys:
>
>         Suse                                  Ubuntu
> ------------------------------------
> Easy for simple desktop                       Easy for simple desktop
>
> Easy for complex server                       Hard for complex server
>                                       eg Firewall, MASQ, tun setup & routing

Isn't there a ubuntu server distro?

> Sysadmin works, is easy, is nice      Sysadmin patchy, some works, some does
> not
>                                       eg system -> administration -> services
>                                       see tricks later: update-rc.d

There's also a bunch of other ways of doing these things. Like
sysvconfig and others. It's just not very well integrated I guess.

> RPM is usually easy and lots of info  apt-get is very easy
> is available about installed          not detailed info about packages
> packages, changed packages,           eg apt-get install kubuntu-desktop adds
> 800M
> contents of packaghes                    apt-get remove kubuntu-desktop  dels
> 40K !!

apt-get is kind of a lower level tool. Using aptitude, in both command
line and GUI mode (run without arguments) will give you detailed info.
If you use aptitude to install, and then remove, it will also take all
the dependencies with it. So you won't get the problem with
kubuntu-desktop.