I'm stumped at the moment and I've been doing firewalls and setting up squid for years.

My client has an ISP firewall, their own firewall, a proxy on the DMZ and an internal firewall and wishes to access a couple of http based services on ports 81 and 8000. Not usually a problem. I have logged into the proxy server and successfully used the services with lynx so there really isn't a firewall issue as far as I can tell.

When I set the http_proxy environment variable to http://127.0.0.1:3128/ lynx will use the proxy. When I try this:-

lynx http://www.some.site:81/ it returns a 503 and I can see NO PACKETS going to the site with tcpdump. Exactly the same with port 8000. The error page returned by squid reports 503 and permission denied, as does the access.log I tried the same thing from our proxy server which is the exact same version and there's no problem leading me to think it's configuration of squid. I tried setting up squid from scratch again and no luck although I did not clear the existing cache (it's a busy proxy, don't want to do that). I will try moving the cache away after hours though.

The response is so quick it's not even trying (as verified by packet dump). Any thoughts from other experts?

access.log entry
1153800571.919 164 127.0.0.1 TCP_MISS/503 1378 GET http://customer.xxxxxx.com:81/ - DIRECT/- text/html

exact response (site censored) from squid below

ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved (p1 of 2)

                                     ERROR

   While trying to retrieve the URL: http://customer.xxxxxxx.com:81/

   The following error was encountered:
     * Connection to Failed

   The system returned:
    (13) Permission denied

   The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

   Your cache administrator is root.

ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved (p2 of 2)
    Generated  Tue,  25  Jul  2006 04:09:31 GMT by proxy.xxxxxx.nsw.edu.au
    (squid/2.5.STABLE13)

--
Grant Parnell - senior LPIC-1 certified consultant

ELX or its employees participate in the following:-
OSIA (Open Source Industry Australia) - http://www.osia.net.au
AUUG (Australian Unix Users Group) - http://www.auug.org.au
SLUG (Sydney Linux Users Group) - http://www.slug.org.au
LA (Linux Australia) - http://www.linux.org.au