On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 23:03 +1000, david wrote:
> Do the packages in /var/cache/apt/archives represent all the installed
> packages on a standard Ubuntu system?

Unless you've removed packages, the contents of /var/cache/apt/archives
represent every single package ever installed on that system, regardless
of whether a package was subsequently removed, or replaced by an updated
version.

apt-get has a couple of commands for managing the package cache. apt-get
clean will clear out the cache completely. autoclean is a little more
intelligent. Check the apt-get man page for details.

> Can I use this as input to apt-cacher for the purposes of subsequently
> updating another box? Eg, breezy to dapper.

I guess you could seed apt-cacher with the contents of one machine's
package cache, yeah. But I've never used apt-cacher. :-)

--
Pete