The remuneration structure of the industry means they work only for
themselves, and the situation is set up for them to abuse both sides and
use every trick they can to do so.

Recruiting Firms do try to keep both parties Happy!!

It is important for us to place people in jobs that :
1 - They are capable of doing!!
2 - That they enjoy doing!!
3 - In a Place they want to work

For the Client we Try to Match
1 - The Skill they ask for
2 - A Reliable Person
3 - At a Remuneration Level they can afford!!

(snip)

(as you may have guessed I do recruiting, not in IT at present but the rules are the same no matter what industry)

But that wasn't what I said Scott.

The problem is that, regardless of the intent of any single person or company, the way in which the industry is structured economically does not provide any across-the-board economic incentive for the industry to act in the best interests of either the company or the staff member, which leaves the industry open to all manner of shoddy practises.

As I understand it, it makes no difference to your income whether you place someone good or bad at the job, or you do it in a day or a month.

So apart from long term reputation, what incentive is there to place the best person? Is that going to matter to a single employee in a large recruitment firm who themself has no interest in the long term reputation of the company?

Adam K