According to this article -
http://www.informationweek.com/security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=1935
01739 the recent sharp increase of spam is due to a couple of new
trojans, one of which uses a peer-to-peer mechanism for it's bots.

My guess is that if the bulk of spam is being sent by bot-controlled
PCs, then in all likelihood, the prime-time will coincide when most
people are checking their email, surfing the web, etc. The bots then get
turned on and do their thing.

Regards, Martin

Martin Visser

Technology Consultant
Consulting & Integration
Technology Solutions Group - HP Services

410 Concord Road
Rhodes NSW  2138
Australia

Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visserAThp.com

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is
confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete
the email, destroy any printed copy and do not disclose or use the
information in it.