Funnily enough we have had a project just recently with the exact same problem.
http://htmldoc.org/
htlmdoc is by the people who made CUPS and probably will do unless you have css up the wazoo or something more complex. For the ultimate in rendering ability, embeded mozilla engine via http://michele.pupazzo.org/mozilla2ps/
then the run the output through ps2pdf.
moz2ps doesn't seem to work with stdin though (you should be ok).

those two choices are the easiest to use, though moz2ps seems to like a gui (gtk libraries) and sometimes it likes to run as root (tarball version) get ubuntu edgy or recent debian and you should be ok with that though.

dave

Sonia Hamilton wrote:
I (well my boss actually) want to convert several hundred html pages to
pdf - what's the easiest way to do this? Any pointers, ideas?

I guess I'm looking for a tool like pdf2html (but going in the reverse
direction).

I've found a php module called html2pdf [1] - just wondering if there's
a stand alone tool callable from the shell.

[1] http://directory.fsf.org/print/misc/html2pdf.html