Stephen Black wrote:
I have installed Suse Linux on my new computer with a Realtek RTL8111B ethernet controler. I have not had any success in connecting to the net and would like to know if there is a way to test my ethernet port to see if it is compatable with the OS (which seems likely as SUSE supports 5 other similar chipsets but mine is not mentioned)

I don't yet have a broadband account but I have noticed that the phone line will connect to the ethernet port (RJ45) and I was wondering if I could use the port to dial into the internet as a temporary measure untill I get some broadband action happening

a modem would give you acess to the phone system, then you would need a dialup account with an isp. If you are about to get a broadband account, then getting a modem and a dialup account for a short period is probably a waste of effort, time and money.
Ken
PS If anybody feels they would like to reccomend a copper free broadband provider / plan I would be happy to check it out