Simon,

[I hope you don't mind me addressing you informally]

You'll need to wait until after the next election and the finalization of the T3 process before any government will have the balls to force real competition on the monopoly. Even then it's doubtful, going on past performance.

Very, very doubtful; real competition might make Telstra appear to be losing money in the short term thus devaluing shares, thus annoying all the "Aussie Battlers" [oh PLEASE] who bought shares when the share's value drops.

Also, if I were a Government I wouldn't want the country's largest, private telecommunications provider to be off-side during an election.

Especially if I had no control over them...

DSL