On Thursday December 14 2006 21:47, Matthew Hannigan wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 08:43:40PM +1000, Gerald wrote:
> > Do any Sluggers know how to get 4 x sata drives working on this mother
> > board with Linux or Indeed any O/S?
> > When i add a drive beyond 2 the system gets screwed up.
>
> Screwed up how?  Error messages / details please!
>
> > I am not sure if it is a power supply problem (500W) or just a mother
> > board problem.
>
> 500W is plenty
Kernel panic. This is when the boot drive is set in bios as sda an 80GB system
disk.
With only 2 drives, 80GB + 320Gb (for data)    the system works fine.
If i add a 3rd or 4th drive, still with bios set to boot the 80GB first, the
system on booting shows the 80Gb as 1st drive 320GB as 2nd drive the added
drives as 3rd and 4th drives.
But when Linux boots on sda the kernel panics saying sda1 does not exist.
Since it is kernel panic i cannot find out how drives have been switched.
Do you think i should install the software when the drives are all installed,
thus hoping that the switching will not matter?
Gerald