On 12/29/06, Penedo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 29/12/06, Zhasper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Under linux, sockets are files, so lsof does show sockets as well.

I know lsof can monitor also network connections but that's not because
"sockets are files".

From the lsof man page:

An open file may be a regular file, a directory, a block special file, a
character special file, an
executing text reference, a library, a stream or a network file (Internet
socket, NFS file or UNIX
domain socket.)

How are you defining "file"?

UNIX-domain sockets, which are usually uninteresting, indeed occupy i-nodes
on filesystems, but I'm not aware of a standard way to map network sockets (
e.g. TCP/UDP sockets) to filesystem names. Do you? (maybe there is some
specialized linux filesystem which does this, but I don't see one on my
system right now.

I thought there might be something in /proc, but I can't see anything.

--
There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself
- Zhasper, 2004