Hi Glen,

I agree that the standard of living (housing etc) for the Aboriginal population is poor, and I'm not aware of the limitations of the project (you seem to have more info about that than I do). However, as someone who has taught rural Aboriginal people at a tertiary level - one of my favourite students had sand as a floor, with carpet over it, and no grid-electricity - this is one of the things that provides encouragement and shows interest and commitment beyond the basics of living.

I agree, also, that should it fail it would be shameful. The knowledge to make these things works exists. I hope the people involved are committed to ensuring it does.

Regards,

Patrick

Glen Turner wrote:
elliott-brennan wrote:
The SMH had some very exciting news today.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/laptops--desktops/australia-trials-low-cost-laptop/2007/01/12/1168105153500.html

The OLPC are looking at trialling the laptops in remote indigenous communities.

Not that exciting. They are going to evaluate it in one classroom.

There's a significant chance the trial will fail as the amount of
application software aimed at children on the OLPC is currently zero
and the amount of supprting training and curriculum material is
currently zero.  The OLPC has the potential to become an expensive
white elephant unless this basic low tech and boring issues are
seen to.

There's been enough fads imposed on remote communities by special
interests with a barrow to push. Let's not add another one before
the basics of health, housing and employment are less shameful.

--
Registered Linux User 368634