Hi
This is driving me up the wossname wall. Any suggestions? Was true for dapper
and is true for edgy:

I don't like and won't use the default partitioning. On most of my systems it
will be (1) 10G /, (2) 1G swap, (3) rest /home

To re-install a different distro etc just blot out /.

Boot CD. Choose install. Manually partition.
[Forward]
/\ Warning No root partition. Stuck here.
--
Any blind toad on a rainy day can read: /   /dev/hda1
Any 'cheats' to say proceed anyway?

So far my only solution has been multiple tries, sometimes making entries
/home   /dev/hda3
swap    /dev/hda2
/       /dev/hda1

or swapping the order hda1, hda2, hda3
some times deleting hda1 then re-creating it works.
Typical install 30min + 45min fart-arsing around to NOT get 'no root
partition'.
Of course, he bemoaned glumly, you let the installer choose partitions
automatically and all is well except the /home you were trying to keep is
toast.
James