On 28/01/2007, at 5:27 PM, Alan L Tyree wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 16:54:52 +1100
Sam Lawrance <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 28/01/2007, at 4:44 PM, Alan L Tyree wrote:

I have been trying to install x11vnc and then use ssh tunnels to
connect. There are two different machines that I am trying to
connect to, one Ubuntu and one is an Apple iBook running Xubuntu.

1 I have no problem with either machine NOT using ssh

2 using ssh: ssh -L 5900:localhost:5900 remote_name 'x11vnc
-localhost -display :0'

        Works great with the Ubuntu machine

        Does not work with the Xubuntu machine (vncviewer
localhost:0 appears to connect, but there is no display)

I presume it must be some setting in ssh, but I can't see any
difference.

Can anyone help?

Try using the verbose flag to ssh and/or x11vnc, and compare the two
machines.

Hmm. I can't do a simple X forwarding to the Xubuntu machine.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ ssh -v -X misty emacs
emacs: standard input is not a tty

I think the original problem lies elsewhere - that's an expected error, see the SSH manpage regarding tty / pty allocation and the -t option.