On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:42:00 +1100
Sam Lawrance <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 28/01/2007, at 5:27 PM, Alan L Tyree wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 16:54:52 +1100
> > Sam Lawrance <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Try using the verbose flag to ssh and/or x11vnc, and compare the
> >> two machines.
> >
> > Hmm. I can't do a simple X forwarding to the Xubuntu machine.
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ ssh -v -X misty emacs
> > emacs: standard input is not a tty
>
> I think the original problem lies elsewhere - that's an expected
> error, see the SSH manpage regarding tty / pty allocation and the -t
> option.

It fails with all programs.

The problem is that the DISPLAY variable is not getting set. After
logging into both machines with ssh -X machine_name

-----------------------------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0          ** Ubuntu machine where everything works
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ echo $DISPLAY
                        ** Xubuntu machine where nothing works
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$

The /etc/ssh/sshd_config files are the same in both machines.

I don't know how DISPLAY gets set

Tel: +61 2 4782 2670            Mobile: +61 427 486 206
Fax: +61 2 4782 7092            FWD: 615662