you can also get around it with:
AllowTcpForwarding yes    <-- I assume the default of this is no as well.

I forgot about that one but the manual says that the default is "yes". You
still need to enable the X11Forwarding which is a separate flag as you
stated.

but would have to deal with the security yourself in that case.

You already seem to have your X server listening on a TCP port so you are
OK there (the default these
days is to use a unix socket I think)

That's not relevant - once the X11 connection is forwarded to the local ssh
client, the ssh client can use UNIX-domain sockets to connect to the local
X11 server just like any other local X11 client.

If all of that fails then the sshd -ddd looks like a plan to me, use a
different port (e.g.  -p 5022) - you will need to run this after you
ssh'ed in of course.

And make sure the port is accessible through any firewall on the way (you DO
have iptables set up, do you?)

Cheers,

--Amos