On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 00:09:29 +1100
Jacinta Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ben wrote:
>
> > installing automatix in Ubuntu is very easy (no command line needed)
> > and addresses all the non driver, free like beer stuff.
> >
> > I've heard nasty reports about it, but it's been fine on every
> > system I've put it on (four so far with Ubuntu 6.10), and probably
> > is only an issue if you're doing custom setup of stuff - so should
> > be ok for any non-geek.
>
> I've heard nasty reports too.  The new poster child for this
> functionality is "EasyUbuntu" http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/
> which has a very nice gui, simple instructions (some command line
> needed at the start -- just cut'n'paste) and further adds itself to
> your Applications menu for future access.
>
> As far as I know they have roughly the same functionality, although
> Easy Ubuntu has the big plus of being much easier to find when doing
> a basic web search.  ;)

I've just been having a look at the new Feisty Fawn (groan!) version of
Ubuntu. In the Add/Remove programs options, there is a one-stop version
of installing restricted software. It seems to be a replacement (or
more likely, an incorporation) of Easy Ubuntu.

As I mentioned earlier, I have been trying to set up my friend who is
an ex-Windows person. Just doing the Easy Ubuntu installation was not
enough on his machine (or mine) to get everything working. I followed
the routine here
http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/2812/how-to_setup_debian and most
video and sound file formats seem to play automatically.

This route worked on my Debian Sid, my Feisty Fawn and an older Ubuntu
Dapper.

Cheers,
Alan

> All the best,

> --

Tel: +61 2 4782 2670            Mobile: +61 427 486 206
Fax: +61 2 4782 7092            FWD: 615662