On Friday 09 February 2007 06:23, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I'm interested in something like Freespire eating into the Mickeysoft
> > desktop space, since that distro provides non-purists with legal
> > and free as in beer access to all the multi-media drivers / codecs /
> > other fru-fru that one needs to compete with a Winders or Mac
> > MM desktop.
>
> installing automatix in Ubuntu is very easy (no command line needed)
> and addresses all the non driver, free like beer stuff.
>
> I've heard nasty reports about it, but it's been fine on every system
> I've put it on (four so far with Ubuntu 6.10), and probably is only an
> issue if you're doing custom setup of stuff - so should be ok for any
> non-geek.

Ben, sigh, how I wish it were true. I have made my SuSE box work on 70% of all
the sites I trawl (you-tube, nasa, google-video newyork-times video etc)
(And fiddling for ever means I don't know what I did) now having setup an
ubuntu box for my sister and run automatix and tried easyubuntu both yield
significantly less than the 70% that I get.
Too hard for a bear of little brain ...
James