Amos Shapira wrote:
On 13/02/07, Mike Lake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Googling for 'memory profiler web applications' and things brings up
things that you use to find memory leaks in apps which I dont want.
Naturally top just gives me instantaneous values which don't mean much
when a web app is only getting a few hits a minute or even less.
Thats why I want to get an average over a few hours or so.

Also I don't have Gnome or any gui thing on this server so it has to be
command line or a perl or bash or other program that can be run from
command line. Output to file would be perfect.

Does anyone have suggestions? What do people here use for getting stats
on programs like this?

I'm not sure there is anything special about web applications - after all to the system they should look as just another process, although it usually
generates lots of network traffic.
Yes, thats correct. I would just look at the sum total of all the Perl processes=the Perl app that is running vs sum of all Java stuff=the Tomcat.

"exmap" seems to be something about this, I haven't used it but from its
Debian package dependencies it looks like it depends on GTK2 so it must be
some sort of a GUI-based application. But maybe you can run it remotely with its window opened on your local $DISPLAY.
I found that using apt-cache on my laptop but to install it it will pull in GTK.
As you mention it I have just looked it up on the web.
Its using GTK for display only and its a perl script underneath that does the analysis. See its homepage at: http://www.berthels.co.uk/exmap/

"Exmap is a tool to allow the real memory usage of a collection of
processes to be examined. A linux kernel loadable module is used to
export information to userspace, which is examined by a perl/gtk
application to build a picture of how pages are shared amongst
processes and their shared libraries."

BUT!

"Exmap is linux-specific, since it uses a linux kernel loadable module. Additionally, the kernel module requires a fairly recent kernel (2.6.8 works, as may some earlier 2.6) in order to successfully compile or run."

The server I have is a vserver running 2.4.22 kernel. So exmap is out anyways.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike
--
Michael Lake