On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 10:06 +1100, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/24/1716222
>
> "If you select "Swap Writer," suspend2 will write all data to the swap
> space, so make sure your swap is at least twice the amount of your RAM
> in size. You can also select "File Writer" and save the suspend data on
> a file on the hard disk instead, but I prefer the swap method since it's
> easier to set up. Compile, install your kernel, and reboot to it."

In earlier versions, swsusp required swap to be physical RAM + video
RAM. And the recommendation was to make it a bit bigger, er, Just In
Case.

The suspend2 HOWTO[1] says requirements for using the swapwriter are
spare swap = physical RAM. That's spare swap. The kernel will do its
best to free up buffers and swap pages back in to make room for the
swapwriter if it needs to. But yeah, sure, double your RAM to be on the
safe side.

I didn't know swsusp had a filewriter method these days. If I were
setting it up right now I'd probably prefer going that way - relying on
having enough free swap to suspend sounds kind of fragile.

[1] - http://www.suspend2.net/HOWTO-2.html#ss2.2

Cheers,
--
Pete