Jeff Waugh wrote:

> No, the 2*RAM thing comes from the distant past, back when the 2.2 and 2.4
> VMs were lame. You don't need 2*RAM for laptop hibernate -- all the laptop
> needs is system (and sometimes video) memory written to disk, and with the
> current hibernate code, it's gzipped on the way in. (Your disk is slower
> than your CPU, so compressing to disk makes a *lot* of sense.) So, systems
> that still do 2*RAM by default do not do it for this reason (consider also
> that RHEL, not exactly primarily used with laptops, still leads the charge
> for 2*RAM).

That's a bit unfair, FC6's installer suggested swap = RAM
when I installed it on a Intel Mac Mini with 2GB of RAM.
(I used FC6 since it 'just works' in the Mac Mini's EFI
environment).

I doubled it manually simply because I remembered how painful
the 2.2-->2.4 move was when the swap requirement became
double the amount of RAM.