It could be that some settings have screwed up your firefox config.
One thing to try is to basically let firefox start without any custom
settings for your account.

To do this try runn the following from the command line "mv ~/.mozilla
~/.mozilla-old" then try  rerunning firefox. It should then create a
fresh .mozilla directory with default settings.

If this does fix the problem then you did have some sort of settings
problem. Of course any bookmarks or other customisations have moved
into the .mozilla-old directory - you can then copy back the pertinent
ones (like .mozilla-old/firefox/*/bookmarks.html)

Regards, Martin