G'day Leslie,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 03:13:35PM +1000, Leslie Katz wrote:

> I did that by installing two RPMs supplied by Canon, which it said were
> for Fedora Core 6.
>
> Among the installed files from the two RPMs were: (1) a .ppd file; (2) a
> filter file; and (3) a backend file.
>
> The .ppd file included a line referring to the filter file.
>
> I have two questions:
>
>   1. Is there any chance that by copying all three of the files I’ve
>      mentioned to the appropriate directories on the computer running
>      DSL, I could get the MP160 to print with that computer?

CUPS on Debian and Fedora/Red Hat aren't that dissimilar in where they
place files. You could try converting the RPMs with alien and install
them on DSL, or extract them with rpm2cpio and slot them in the right
spot (the first option is preferable).

Assuming the version of CUPS and its dependencies aren't that different
between the RPMs and what DSL has installed, you'll have a decent chance
at getting it working.

Google gave me http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-PIXMA_MP160
which has instructions on getting the RPMs working with Ubuntu, I assume
it wouldn't be too different on DSL.

Lindsay

--
http://slug.org.au/ (the Sydney Linux Users Group)