On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Leslie Katz wrote:
> I hope to get a Canon PIXMA MP160 all-in-one printing with a computer
> running Damn Small Linux (“DSL”) and CUPS.
>
> Right now, I have access to neither the computer nor the printer, but
> hope to get guidance in advance about the matter.
>
> Last weekend, in the absence of the computer running DSL and CUPS, I
> was able to get the MP160 printing with a computer running Fedora
> Core 3 and CUPS.
>
> I did that by installing two RPMs supplied by Canon, which it said
> were for Fedora Core 6.
>
> Among the installed files from the two RPMs were: (1) a .ppd file;
> (2) a filter file; and (3) a backend file.
>
> The .ppd file included a line referring to the filter file.
>
> I have two questions:
>
>    1. Is there any chance that by copying all three of the files I’ve
>       mentioned to the appropriate directories on the computer
> running DSL, I could get the MP160 to print with that computer? 2. If
> not, could I edit the .ppd file to remove the reference to the filter
> file and copy only the edited .ppd file to the computer running DSL,
> relying on the fact that default CUPS filter and backend files are
> already on that computer?

Try the foomatic debian packages, which have a compilation of ppd files
as well gimp-print and guten-print drivers from linuxprinting.org ...
I'm not sure how the foomatic thing works, but I know that when I
installed it, I had a heap of printer drivers ready for use.

Regards
--
Joseph Goncalves
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
The sight of death frightens them [Earthers].
                -- Kras the Klingon, "Friday's Child", stardate 3497.2