On 5/10/07, Amos Shapira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone have recommendations on which SATA RAID PCI controller cards
should I look for a 4-disk mirror array?

I'm running an el-cheapo silicon image controller, but I flashed its
bios with a non-raid bios to get IDE mode to run software raid.

The intended use right now is for some file-archive server with important
files on it (hence the redundancy requirement). I was thinking of using
Linux software RAID (Debian Etch) but was very sternly warned not to do that
on a production system.

Well, I remember last SLUG meeting someone asked the question, and
everyone seemed opposed to hardware raid -- the general arguments
being that cheaper raid controllers are dodgy, and migration between
different raid controllers almost never works.

I've setup a fileserver at home running Nexenta (OpenSolaris) running
a ZFS software raid. I am running my fileserver at home though, not in
a production environment.