On Tuesday 15 May 2007 10:00, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I've just gotten my hands on a Compaq Proliant DL380 server to be used for
> hosting a home-made web application and was wondering which linux distro
> would best suit in terms of hardware compatibility and server management?
> I'm new to this, so any help/advice/opinions is/are welcome :)

Annie this is flamewar bait, but IMHO and I've setup systems for non geek
customers that included RedHat, Ubuntu and SuSE. SuSE wins by a country mile.
The Sysadmin is easily taught and easily learned and is logical and
consistent.

For ordinary vanilla web server, maybe some PHP SuSE 10.2 is fine.
If you want propriatry stuff then SuSE 10 enterprise for munnie is a good way
to go. (easy vs messy)

Many folk on this list love debian/ubuntu which makes a nice desktop, is very
easy to update/install etc but is a real bitch to setup as a server. I see
objections to that opinion: I've played and administered unix systems for +25
years. I recently spent 2 days getting an ubuntu server configured, then
declared it too hard getting the fine stuff done. I reverted to SuSE and had
all up-n-running in a morning.

RedHat or clones CentOS and sibling Fedora work well but are fidley, not
consistent.

Yast (SuSE's sysadmin tool) has a nice GUI, but also works well on a curses
interface. It runs nicely on a remote machine. If you start on the GUI then
the curses interface is quick and easy (just not so obvious)

Good Luck!
James