On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 15:56 +1000, Scott Ragen wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 01/08/2007 03:05:49 PM:

> for
> > >
> > > I'd check your disk is using dma; PIO disk IO is a great way to turn
> > > your laptop into a snail.
> >
> This might be way off, but I had intermittant freezing problems with the
> kernel using cpufreq ondemand governor.
> To see what govenor is used, try
> # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>
> Try setting it to performance if its anything but.

So that does substantially help matters -- I have to try pretty hard to
make it skip in that situation. It unfortunately also chews through
battery life and makes the fan scream like some kind of gently blowing
banshee. Needing 1.7GHz of processing power to download email and play
music seems a bit overkill.

But ok, it may be *switching* performance levels that is the problem
(since that will occur when my mail client wakes up and does stuff). If
that is the case, what kind of things could I do? I've previously tried
re-nicing rhythmbox and esd to -19 and it seemed to have no measurable
effect.

James.

--
     James Gregory  --  http://codelore.com  --  [EMAIL PROTECTED]