On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 09:44 +1000, Scott Ragen wrote:
> James Gregory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 01/08/2007 04:56:26 PM:
>
> > So that does substantially help matters -- I have to try pretty hard to
> > make it skip in that situation. It unfortunately also chews through
> > battery life and makes the fan scream like some kind of gently blowing
> > banshee. Needing 1.7GHz of processing power to download email and play
> > music seems a bit overkill.
> >
> > But ok, it may be *switching* performance levels that is the problem
> > (since that will occur when my mail client wakes up and does stuff). If
> > that is the case, what kind of things could I do? I've previously tried
> > re-nicing rhythmbox and esd to -19 and it seemed to have no measurable
> > effect.
> >
> Which driver are you using for the cpufreq?
> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver

It's set to 'centrino' atm.

> If your using the generic acpi, try the driver specific for your
> cpu/chipset. If not, try using acpi-cpufreq.

Is this more complicated than echoing the appropriate string into that
file? I get the following:

# echo "acpi-cpufreq" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
bash: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver: Permission denied

And nothing in 'dmesg' telling me what happened.

I did make a little bit of progress on this yesterday. I found that if I
use the 'conservative' frequency scaler, and renice my various courier
processes (I use courier-imap for mail) to 19, it's substantially
better. Still far from flawless, but only a stone's throw from
tolerable. I might try configuring Evolution to talk directly to the
Maildir and see what happens.

Thanks for the pointers.

James.

--