On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 09:29 +1000, Amos Shapira wrote:

> Our coders now use Cygwin to make shell scripts run on Windows and noticed
> that the API is GPL'ed (they just port shell scripts but for output
> redirection they had to write a small C program using the API).

There are exceptions to scripting that allows you to use the product to
write scripting without affecting copyright.  The important idea is
'use' not linking.

Another the key factor is distribution.  If software never goes outside
your doors then you are safe.

Finally, Open Source does not stop profit.  We have a non-saleable
product that would generate support dollars if we released it open
source.

--
Ken Foskey
FOSS developer