Thanks to Alex,Kevin, Amos, and Tony (hope I haven't missed anybody).

I've solved the problem with the LAN - there was no hardware problem, just a problem with the newly created account for my wife. It has no network/web access.

Have read the man pages re creating new users, and have googled extensively, yet I still haven't found, or can't grasp what is necessary to enable LAN/Net access for a newly added user account .

I understand adding the User to various groups, but just what group is necessary for LAN/Net access? I assume that it is the "web-data" group , but adding my wife's account to this group and/or the "users" group has no effect.

Sorry if all of this seems obvious to you but I'm not 100% at the moment and my poor old brain isn't working at full capacity.

In addition I've never had to deal with adding other users on my home network, as up until now I've been the only user, and my accoun has always been created during distro installation.

THanks

Bill