Yes - as of hardware version 5 of the WRT54G, they switched to VXWorks
as an OS instead of linux. This enabled them to halve the amount of
memory needed, and thus make the unit cheaper.

However, they were sensible enough to know that most of the reason why
the original WRT54G was popular was the linux support, so at the same
time the rebadged the version 4 WRT54G as the WRT54GL and continued
selling that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G#WRT54GL has some of the detail.