Bill,

To start any development on Ubuntu you should as a minimum install "sudo
apt-get install build-essential". This installs a vritual package that drags
with it the  most commonly used compilers, libraries and other assorted
utilities (like automake and autoconf) to build programs. gcc by itself can
only compile .c code into .o files, but so you still need libraries,
linkers, etc to create the executable. This is probably the source of the
error. Also check that you haven't inadvertantly used root privilege to
extract your tarball into a directory that only root can write to - you may
need to change ownership of the directory and files to your meer mortal
user.

You may also find later on that other development libraries are missing -
for example if the program needs X, KDE, Gtk etc. You can usually find these
with "apt-cache search 'libdoodad.*dev' "

Regards, Martin