No worries :) I'm not a kernel hacker but know a lot about training -
good to help on list when I can.

WRT to "sales guys" - they're wonderful people and I've got many friends
who work in sales and I wish I had their selling skills. But I never
believe anything they say :)

Books - check out the book I linked to, even if only to skim read it in
a library ^h^h^h^h^h bookshop and work out what you need to focus on.
City bookshops are now pretty useless for Linux, you may need to wander
further afield (eg Broadway Centre). Don't try to study everything -
write down your 10 worst areas, focus on them for 2 weeks, sit the exam,
possibly fail, focus on areas that were difficult for another 2 weeks,
resit the exam for free.

Distros - depends how comfortable you are with Linux; good to be aware
of Redhat'isms for exam. Just use $free Fedora/CentOS VMs downloaded
from vmware appliances: http://www.vmware.com/appliances/ + $free vmware
player

You may also want to consider the LPI1 & 2 courses held at Granville
TAFE - cheap but held over a semester so slower. But you'll pickup lots
and meet lots of linux people.

Good luck! Sonia

--
Sonia Hamilton