<quote who="Rick Welykochy">

> Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
>>> Does it have to be in shell? :-)
>>
>> No sir! But shell usually wins.
>
> On my 1 GHz / 1 GB powerbook, the python one-liner I just submitted runs 5
> x faster than the original.

Ah yes, well there are different definitions of optimisation, and all are
valid in this game. I was referring to command line length and cleverness
though, which is probably a bit exclusive. ;-)

> But what does 'shell' really mean? python,perl, etc.  are external to the
> shell as surely as sed,tr,wc.

Traditionally it has been quick command line combos, but there are always
offerings in more conventional and esoteric forms. Such as brainf*ck this
time.

I posted this as a result of a joke on another mailing list about an amazing
abuse of commas from a particular poster, but also because we haven't had
one of these threads for ages. It was always fun when Herbert Xu or Gus Lees
would smack everyone about with a clever use of cut(1). ;-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/

   "We are peaking sexually when they are peaking. And two peaks makes a
                        hell of a good mount." - SMH