On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 09:22:49PM +1100, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
> I love Ians posts only because he includes L1 and L2 cache hits in every
> one.  If only you would share the command that gave you these numbers.

The numbers come from the CPU performance counters.  I use the perfmon
tools [1] to get at these.  This project should (one day) make it into
the standard kernel as the interface to performance management units
provided by current CPUs.

One extremely compelling reason to use Itanium is the excellent HP
Caliper [2].  It monitors a range of useful metrics and presents them
in a report, which is much easier than measuring them all by hand and
manually correlating.  AFAIK there isn't anything like this for x86 so
far, so you're left to get familiar with [3].

-i

[1] http://perfmon2.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://www.hp.com/go/caliper
[3] http://www.intel.com/design/processor/manuals/253669.pdf