Peter Rundle wrote:
> Sluggers,
>
> I find myself working with a couple of people who are in love with MSN
> messaging and use it to collaborate. I've never used any sort of instant
> messaging and know nothing about it. Of course all the links that I get
> sent are to Microsoft only, "just download and install and it will
> create a hotmail account" etc, I.E as a Linux user, completely useless.

1. Follow step one of this site:
http://messenger.msn.com/download/getstarted.aspx

"Use any e-mail address to sign up for a .NET Passport"

You can use an existing email address for your .NET Passport login (aka
MSN Messenger login)

Once you've jumped through all the hoops of getting a new account:

2. configure a MSN gaim/pidgin (CTRL+A). You'll only need the .NET
Passport login and password to configure it and that's it.

--
dave.