On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 01:52:11AM +1100, Sam Gentle wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008 12:59 AM, Daryl Thompson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have 287Gb of my music still on an external HD in Windows Wma format
> > in multiply directory's under a top directory of "wma"
> > i wish to mass convert these files and do a little tidy up on them
> > I have 3 main goals to achaive
> >
> > 1. Converting the wma to mp3
> > 2. Removing the wma after converting
> > 3. removing the old desktop.ini files in these directory
>
> There's an awfully nifty utility called "find" that you can use
> whenever you need to interact with directory trees recursively.
>
> I'll give you an example for your first problem, and the rest should
> seem fairly obvious from there:
>
> find -type f -iname '*.wma' -exec wma2mp3 {} \;

Can I suggest to quote the {} just in case

 find -type f -iname '*.wma' -exec wma2mp3 "{}" \;

> Which means "find anything in this directory tree that's a file whose
> name matches '*.wma' and then execute 'wma2mp3 <that file>'".
>
> Remember, with great power comes great responsibility! Before you run
> any find commands you should first make sure you're doing what you
> think you're doing. Especially don't trust find commands given to you
> by some random guy from the internet.
>
> Changing -exec <blah> to -exec echo <blah> will show you what command
> you're about to run on lots and lots of files. You may even want to
> copy-paste one of the lines of echo output to your terminal to dry-run
> it on just one file.
>
> Don't be too proud to double-check - I'm sure everyone here has a
> great story or two about wiping their home directory.
>
> Oh, and as always, man find will bring great enlightenment and happiness.
>
> Sam
> --

"Earlier today, the Libyan government released Fathi Jahmi. She's a local
government official who was imprisoned in 2002 for advocating free speech and
democracy."

        - George W. Bush
03/12/2004
citing Jahmi, who is a man, in a speech paying tribute to women reformers
during International Women's Week, Washington, D.C.