On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Amos Shapira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Jaime Tarrant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >  2 & 3) Another script that might be useful to automatically install
>  > proprietary ATI video drivers is here:
>  >  http://techpatterns.com/forums/about933.html
>  >  I have used it successfully on Debian machines with NVidia and ATI cards
>  > running Lenny or Unstable branches, although I haven't tested it with Etch.
>  > Still, if you have had no luck so far maybe it is worth a shot.
>  >  TIP: You can only run the script from the console however (not from within
>  > X).
>
>  Another possible option which I used when I felt particularly lazy or
>  out of time to do it "properly" is to boot a live Ubuntu disk on the
>  machine and copy the X config file from it to merge with the Debian
>  one.

Not an option on these boxes.

No floppy disk. No CD. Solid-state HD.

Suggestions have been received and are being looked into. As far as I
know, we've updates the distribution with the latest patches using
apt-get distro upgrade without success (once we removed the poxy HP
repository from the sources list and actually GOT some upgrades), and
are now trying to find/apply the latest ATI drivers to the video card.

Damn thing is still refusing to do widescreen modes. :-( Won't even do
1600x1050 now.

Thanks to all for suggestions.

DaZZa