On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 07:39:01 +1000, Mary Gardiner wrote:

> I haven't tried OpenVPN yet, but a new security advisory came out this
> morning saying "A regression was introduced in OpenVPN when using TLS
> and multi-client/server which caused OpenVPN to not start when using
> valid SSL certificates... It was also found that openssl-vulnkey from

That was it.  I've applied the latest update and my vpn now works
again :-)

Now, does anyone know why, if the problem is that only the 15-bit PID
was used for entropy when these vulnerable keys were generated, the
blacklists contain more than 2^15 keys?  The 2048-bit RSA and 1024-bit
DSA blacklists each have 98307 entries, and the openvpn blacklist has
98304.  H.D. Moore's lists of ssh keys contain only 32K keys each, as
I'd expect (http://metasploit.com/users/hdm/tools/debian-openssl/).

The reason I ask is that I've generated 32K limited-entropy 1024-bit
RSA keys for a blacklist to check some keys we use internally (although
it's extremely unlikely any of them were generated on a vulnerable
system), and I was wondering if I should be generating more somehow.
And if anyone wants my blacklist, let me know & I'll make it available.

Thanks,

John
--
I've had attacks of diarrhea that were cleaner than VisualBasic.
            -- Lionel Lauer