On Thursday 22 May 2008 20:08:14 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Thanks the replies Kevin, Richard and Grahame.
>
> I s'pose the followup question(s) should be;
>
> Which tuner card, video card and composite sound card are the
> recommended Linux compatible options?
>
> The host I plan to put it in/on is a P4 2.4 with 1GB RAM. Presently with
> an 80GB SATA and a pair of RAID 1'ed IDE HDD's.

a) Gutsy or Hardy
b) apt-cache search 'mythtv*'
c) apt-get install mythtv-frontend, backend, themes

All trivially easy

DIVICO Plus
Huge list of other DVB cards

Any sound card, say SB or ensonic

SATA WD raptors caused me problems, I got WD 300G PATA.
Um 80G is quite small. You will use it quite easily

/dev/sda2            291914560 105160556 186754004  37% /mnt/store
A few programs waiting to be watched!
Making a DVD from recorded will easily use 10G

You can watch (frontend) on 256M 1G machine. Better graphics == better video.
EG NVIDIA 8500/8600

Really easy these days, but watch out you can't mix-n-match eg Hardy backend
is wrong protocol for a gutsy frontend. You can build everything from same
source

James