> On Thursday 29 May 2008 19:23:16 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>  was wondering if anyone has any thoughts.
>>
>> I've got a feisty desktop that has grown like topsy. It's running
>> several services eg: webserver, mail , postgres, mysql, apt-caching,
>> Nvidia proprietary drivers, accounting software, etc etc.. lots of
>> "stuff".  Probably things I've completely forgotten about.
>>
>> At one time, I changed the UUID's in fstab to the old fashioned /dev
>> id's (because of compatibility issues at the time with Mondo). Some
>> things have been installed from source, some from .deb that I have
>> downloaded, and most from simple apt-get.
>>
>> To complicate things, the box already has 4 hard drives installed, so
>> installing another one for copying is probably not an option.
>>
>> In other words, it's a complete mish-mash.
>>
>> Some things are critical, some important, some trivial.
>>
>> I also made the mistake of using Automatix, and I've read that it has
>> the potential to completely break upgrades.
>>
>> The system works fine, but it's getting old and I want to upgrade to
>> Hardy. I think maybe a complete new Hardy, but what's the way to make
>> sure I don't lose stuff... or is it too late :)
>>
>> I'm sure there is no simple answer, but does anyone have any thoughts or
>> experience?

My tuppence worth: install a clean new system. With that kinda mish-mash
it probably won't upgrade smoothly. Upgrading twice (feisty-gutsy-hardy)
almost definitely not. You'd spend just as much time fixing everything
once done as installing from scratch. For what it is worth, I keep track
of what "specials" I put on a box and keep enough disk space in a
separate partition (basically partition a drive 50-50) to install the
"new" distribution into, thus being able to boot into either without
harming the other, and when happy switch over to the "new" partition and
clear the old, ready for next upgrade whenever that may be. I've had
more success and less down-time with that system than upgrading.

Fil