I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

I've got a feisty desktop that has grown like topsy. It's running
several services eg: webserver, mail , postgres, mysql, apt-caching,
Nvidia proprietary drivers, accounting software, etc etc.. lots of
"stuff".  Probably things I've completely forgotten about.

At one time, I changed the UUID's in fstab to the old fashioned /dev
id's (because of compatibility issues at the time with Mondo). Some
things have been installed from source, some from .deb that I have
downloaded, and most from simple apt-get.

To complicate things, the box already has 4 hard drives installed, so
installing another one for copying is probably not an option.

In other words, it's a complete mish-mash.

Some things are critical, some important, some trivial.

I also made the mistake of using Automatix, and I've read that it has
the potential to completely break upgrades.

The system works fine, but it's getting old and I want to upgrade to
Hardy. I think maybe a complete new Hardy, but what's the way to make
sure I don't lose stuff... or is it too late :)

I'm sure there is no simple answer, but does anyone have any thoughts or
experience?