On 02/06/2008, at 9:36 PM, Darryl Barlow wrote:

The compromise occurred over the Christmas/New Year period when I was
interstate. The server had ssh access enabled via password entry and fell
victim to a brute force password attack.  Fortunately I had software
installed which alerted me to the problems. ...  (But I
also noted with interest the recent bug in Debian systems when generating
keys, which would have made even this method insecure on these boxes).

you rarely need to ssh into a box 120 times a minute, so I rate limit my ssh connections to 2 a minute with iptables. This stops (dare i say) all automated brute force attacks, when ssh starts timing out, the bots move on. Won't stop a
person, though will slow them down to a crawl.

There's other things like fail2ban, using a non standard port. Perhaps blocking any ip that knocks on the standard port. But these measures will only stop bots. If someone is determined, they will just change hosts/ip's and continue the attack.

Michael Chesterton
http://chesterton.id.au/blog/
http://barrang.com.au/