[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Many thanks for the advice.
>
> I've done as requested with the xrandr command and the outputs
> with/without the Docking Station are attached. I'd like to understand
> this, as I notice that some other person on a Hardy Helpline has the same
> problem. It may be that the final answer (if there is one) to can go to
> him as well.

The xrandr output indicates that the laptop has correctly detected the external
VGA display, and is trying to use it.  The “*” is next to the resolution it is
trying to use.  You could try "xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1024x768" or similar
to try a different resolution, but I'd be surprised if that helped.

So Xorg certainly thinks it is using the external display.  So if you are
getting no output then there's probably some sort of fundamental driver bug
involved.  I have no idea how to go about tracking that down, but I do suggest
filing a bug against the relevant xserver-xorg-video-FOO package.  (Where FOO is
the Xorg video driver you're using, e.g. on my laptop the package is
xserver-xorg-video-intel.)

-Andrew.