david wrote:

Every external firewire/usb drive i've used has ended up giving me hard
drive failure, and in some cases heart failure. Other people whose
opinion I respect have come to the same conclusion. I get the impression
that the problem has to do with power supply on the external device, but
I haven't figured that out for certain.

I haven't used Lacies. Are they better?

I've been using a LaCie 500 GB external for a few years now
without a single hitch on Mac OS X. Firewire connection.

I am impressed with LaCia products. Seem pretty solid.

Since I am also backing up the files from the LaCie using a
LaCie DVD burner, and then verifying all originals and backups
using MD5 sums, both the HDD and burner/reader are getting
a good workout. Both work flawlessly.

Aside: I cannot say the same about the Mac internal superdrive,
a MATSHITADVD-R UJ-835F. A google will show why it is crap.
Utter crap. That is why the LaCia external DVD burner.

cheers
rickw