2008/7/18 Shakthi Kannan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi,
>
> --- On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 6:40 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | Industry and Government work very hand in hand...
> |
> | in India it is even more so.... and what I was saying was that it has got
> | them somewhere...
> \--
>
> The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence ... or the ocean.

I'll save you reading ALL of the text in that link
(http://www.smedg.org.au/DougAdamsOnOz.html) and just quote the
relevant part:

"Alone of all the races on earth, they seem to be free from the 'Grass
is Greener on the other side of the fence' syndrome, and roundly
proclaim that Australia is, in fact, the other side of that fence.
They call the land "Oz", "Godzone" (a verbal contraction of "God's Own
Country") and "Best bloody place on earth, bar none, strewth." The
irritating thing about this is they may be right."

I like his writing :)

> The reason behind using FOSS is mostly for cost cutting solutions
> rather than 'software freedom'. There are still challenges.

Let me give you an example from last week - I've been wasting a week
trying to install Windows 2003 Server as a Xen guest on our remotely
hosted CentOS 5 severs (as a background job). The problem wasn't the
uploading of huge images, the configuration of the Xen HVM guest or
even getting it to run, but simply that it won't accept any of the
licenses we have!

We are subscribed both to the "Action Pack" and MSDN which are some
sort of "Partner Programs", whatever that means.

Calling Microsoft support resulted with a few insights given to me by
their support:

1. "I'm not a support guy - I just here for basic stuff". (or
something like this)
2. "Your license is valid and is the right one for the image you are
trying to install. I don't know why it isn't accepted".
3. "You'll have to pay us $390 in order to talk to someone who might
be able to help you".
4. "You can go to TechNet, it's a public forum where people might help
you out with the problem".

WHAT?? And there are still people who walk around saying that open
source's biggest disadvantage is that it isn't supported by anyone???
Give me a break.

We ended up ordering a separate box to run this server - now it's the
hosts' problem to get Windows running on it (but I also included a
$US30/month KVM card so I can try to handle Windows non-booting by
myself).

Thank god there are plans to get rid of Windows altogether at some stage.

Cheers,

--Amos