Sorry, I should have followed up on this - it turns out that mii-tool was
reporting the correct information. I actually had to hard set it to 100Mbps
FD, so the gigabit support wasn't a problem.

Perhaps if I'd used ethtool to change the setting originally I wouldn't have
this problem, but anyway, it's not a big deal, I no longer get interface
errors so the thing that needed fixing was fixed

Thanks anyway :)