On Tuesday 26 August 2008 10:00:03 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Amos Shapira wrote:
> > My boss bought second-hand extra monitors for all of us and I now need
> > to buy a graphics card which can support dual-head for Debian/Ubuntu
> > (and Windows XP and Vista).
> >
> > Since there are always swings around about "best linux support" which
> > I didn't follow, what's the order of the day? Should go with nVidia,
> > AMD or maybe Intel? Any specific card families/models?
>
> I run 2 monitors under ubuntu.
> What I havent seen in this thread is mention of the fact that you want a
> video card with dual dvi. Most cards have 1 dvi and 1 analog. I find that I
> get screen 'lining' when I use the dvi/analog combi. That is highly
> annoying. The cheapest dual dvi card I could find was $65, then up to $120
> etc. This was at allneeds.com.au in Adelaide.

I have 3 ubuntu machines, all fanless nvidia, 1 dual vga (gigabyte agp)
1 dual dvi (8600) and 1 (8500) vga+dvi

Except for minor hastles regarding the MASTER display (long solved) they are
ALL perfect. The older agp machine dual(sic)-boots CentOS and SuSE without
any problems.
So I guess that it is your cards and/or your monitors causing your grief

James