2008/8/25 Dean Hamstead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I agree with open drivers,
>
> but if you are going to go buy an $80 video card and use it right away. The
> nvidia is the best option. Yes its a binary driver and no there isnt source
> code, so yes it taints your kernel. But right now, today, nvidia binary
> driver works the best.

Thanks everyone. Dean's post is representative of my approach to this
- "it stinks but it works *today*".

I just *might* have considered other stuff for home, where it's my
money and a single computer to muck around with (and with a big
question on how much time I'll have to play with it, small chance of
that) but it's my company's money and I'll have to justify to my boss
on why the new cards aren't just "plug and play". "Because next year
the drivers will be open source"? It's not going to cut it.

Thanks everyone for your input. As much as I'd like to support back
companies which support open source, I'll look for cheap dual-DVI
nVidia cards now.

Cheers,

--Amos