Ben Donohue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> anyone have a favourite tool that they use for reducing image file
> size?

convert, from imagemagick, is my usual tool of choice where quality is
not the overriding concern; it sounds like ...

> Not necessarily reducing image size on the page but the amount it
> takes up on storage.

... that is the case for you.  Typically, compressing to JPEG or another
lossy format with a higher "discarded data" level should do.

Alternately, I have used optipng and pngcrush with reasonable effect to
produce significantly smaller PNG images without image data loss[1], but
that is CPU intensive and has a vastly smaller return on investment.

> I need something that would crawl the network and attack files over a
> certain size in target directories.
>
> Is there such a beast?

On a Unix machine?  No, because as another poster pointed out, you would
assemble this yourself from component parts using find(1) and whatever
command line image conversion tools you like.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  They strip metadata, so watch out if you care about that portion of
     the image file for any reason, and check your options.